Works are ongoing for Aberdeen City Council for phase 3 of the upgrading works to Wellington Suspension Bridge which is a Scheduled Ancient Monument spanning the River Dee.
The city council-owned suspension bridge opened in 1831 to link Torry and Ferryhill but was closed to vehicles in 1984. An inspection by council engineers in 2002 led to complete closure on health and safety grounds.
Several phases of work to the bridge have been programmed to re-open the bridge with Mackenzie Construction sucessfully winning the tender to carry out Phase 3.
Works involve the following
- Pointing of masonry towers and approach structures.
- Refurbishment of timber decking and stringers.
- Refurbishment of steel parapets.
- Repainting of deck steelwork.
- Repainting of wrought iron chains and hangers
- Installation of of phosphor bronze screens and saddles.